It’s easy to see how to help some people, but what about those whose needs are not so obvious? This story may have happened a while back, but it was a 41 which has stayed with me and helped me ever since.
It was Thanksgiving, and I was 42 with my parents at a shelter for the needy. We were standing behind the counter 43 hot food to whoever came in. Most of our 44 looked like they had been having hard times; their clothes were worn out and dirty. 45 , they looked needy! Then, a man came in, who looked 46 but needy. He was well-dressed, in a(n) 47 suit. I wondered what he was doing there, and my jaw (下巴) dropped in 48 , when he joined the line for 49 . The closer he came to my 50 station, the more I muttered (嘀咕) to my self. What was this man doing? I wanted to know. Surely he wasn’t going to take food 51 for those who were really in need!
Then my mother quietly took me to one side. She said, “You have 52 that the needs of the people who come here must be purely 53 : for food, shelter, clothing, etc. And this gentleman doesn’t seem to have any of those problems. 54 what if his needs are emotional? What if he needs 55 , friends, or just to be among other human beings?” Her words hit me like a ton of bricks! I felt I should 56 to the man — but I didn’t.
About a week later the shelter received a large 57 from an anonymous(匿名的) source. I couldn’t help but 58 if it came from that man.
Now, 59 I meet someone I remember my mother’s lesson and try to keep an open mind, regardless of how they 60 . Needs aren’t always visible. But kindness always makes a difference.
41. A. passion B. feeling C. challenge D. lesson
42. A. impressing B. volunteering C. blessing D. contacting
43. A. serving B. cooking C. working D. carrying
44. A. visitors B. friends C. dinners D. consumers
45. A. In detail B. In short C. In surprise D. In total
46. A. something B. nothing C. everything D. anything
47. A. cheap B. shabby C. expensive D. ordinary
48. A. amazement B. delight C. amusement D. satisfaction
49. A. food B. clothing C. money D. room
50. A. information B. rescue C. employment D. service
51. A. cared B. bought C. meant D. delivered
52. A. proven B. thought C. planned D. decided
53. A. mental B. moral C. natural D. physical
54. A. Therefore B. But C. And D. So
55. A. comfort B. luck C. wealth D. space
56. A. announce B. communicate C. apologize D. explain
57. A. respect B. praise C. invitation D. donation
58. A. determine B. wonder C. conclude D. support
59. A. whenever B. however C. whatever D. whichever
60. A. try B. behave C. look D. struggle
41-45 DBACB 46-50 DCAAD 51-55 CBDBA 56-60 CDBAC